Leave a Legacy
Are you ready to plan your legacy? You can make a significant gift today that will benefit you, your family and the mission of Curamericas Global. Your estate and philanthropic plans could include a gift to save the lives of the most vulnerable around the world. Help us to meet the needs of forgotten communities and to use research and science to drive impact.
There are many options for giving. The most common is a bequest.
How do I make a bequest?
A bequest is one of the easiest gifts to make. With the help of an advisor, you can include language in your will or trust specifying a gift be made to family, friends or Curamericas Global as part of your estate plan.
What are my options?
A bequest can be made in several ways:
- You can gift a specific dollar amount or asset
- You can gift a percentage of your estate
- You can gift from the balance or residue of your estate
- You can make a beneficiary designation of certain assets
Here is some suggested language for your will bequest.
For unrestricted gifts:
I give to the Curamericas Global, Inc. of Raleigh, North Carolina the sum of $____, or ___ percent of my estate, or the following property___, or all of the remainder of my estate, to be used to enhance the programs around the world at the discretion of the Executive Director and the Board of Directors.
For a general purpose:
I give to the Curamericas Global, Inc. of Raleigh, North Carolina the sum of $____, or ___ percent of my estate, or the following property___, or all of the remainder of my estate, to be used by the (name of the program or country) at Curamericas Global, Inc. to enhance the charity’s programs and research in (describe area to benefit).
For gifts to existing endowments or gifts to create an endowment:
I give to Curamericas Global, Inc. of Raleigh, North Carolina the sum of $____, or ___ percent of my estate, or the following property___, or all of the remainder of my estate to be used at Curamericas Global for the Hope through Health Endowment per the Memorandum of Understanding dated ______ between the organization and myself.
Other ways to give include:
You may be looking for a way to make a big difference to help further our mission. If you are 70½ or older you may also be interested in a way to lower the income and taxes from your IRA withdrawals. An IRA charitable rollover is a way you can help continue our work and benefit this year.
Benefits of an IRA charitable rollover
- Avoid taxes on transfers of up to $100,000 from your IRA to our organization
- Satisfy your required minimum distribution (RMD) for the year
- Reduce your taxable income, even if you do not itemize deductions
- Make a gift that is not subject to the deduction limits on charitable gifts
- Help further the work and mission of our organization
How an IRA charitable rollover gift works
- Contact your IRA plan administrator to make a gift from your IRA to us.
- Your IRA funds will be directly transferred to our organization to help continue our important work.
- Please note that IRA charitable rollover gifts do not qualify for a charitable deduction.
Beneficiary Designation Gifts
A beneficiary designation gift is a simple and affordable way to make a gift to support Curamericas Global. You can designate Curamericas Global as a beneficiary of a retirement, investment or bank account or your life insurance policy.
Benefits of a beneficiary designation gift
- Support the causes that you care about
- Continue to use your account as long as you need to
- Simplify your planning and avoid expensive legal fees
- Reduce the burden of taxes on your family
- Receive an estate tax charitable deduction
How a beneficiary designation gift works
- To make your gift, contact the person who helps you with your account or insurance policy, such as your broker, banker or insurance agent.
- Ask them to send you a new beneficiary designation form.
- Complete the form, sign it and mail it back to your broker, banker or agent.
- When you pass away, your account or insurance policy will be paid or transferred to Curamericas Global, consistent with the beneficiary designation.
Important considerations for your future
If you are interested in making a gift but are also concerned about your future needs, keep in mind that beneficiary designation gifts are among the most flexible of all charitable gifts. Even after you complete the beneficiary designation form, you can take distributions or withdrawals from your retirement, investment or bank account and continue to freely use your account. You can also change your mind at any time in the future for any reason, including if you have a loved one who needs your financial help.
Charitable Gift Annuity
You may be tired of living at the mercy of the fluctuating stock and real estate markets. A charitable gift annuity is a gift made to our organization that can provide you with a secure source of fixed payments for life.
Charitable Remainder Unitrust
You transfer your cash or appreciated property to fund a charitable remainder unitrust. The trust sells your property tax free and provides you with income for life or a term of years.
Give it Twice Trust
You provide your children with a stream of income while making a gift to charity.
You may be looking for a way to provide your children with income while making a gift to Curamericas Global. The “give it twice” trust is a popular option that allows you to transfer your IRA or other asset at death to fund a term of years charitable remainder unitrust. We call this kind of unitrust a give it twice trust because you can use the trust to pay income first to your family for a number of years and then distribute the balance of the trust to charity.
Benefits of a give it twice trust
- Use the full value of your unused retirement account to provide income to your surviving spouse and to provide income to children or other loved ones for a specified period of time
- Create an estate tax deduction and savings from the charitable gift
- Support the important charitable work of Curamericas Global
How a give it twice trust works
- We can help you and your attorney with the process of creating a charitable remainder unitrust.
- You complete an IRA or other retirement account beneficiary designation form, naming the charitable trust as the beneficiary, and return the form to the account custodian.
- When you pass away, the custodian will transfer your retirement account to the charitable trust.
- The trust will pay income to your spouse, children or other individual beneficiaries for their life, term of years or life plus term of years.
- At the conclusion of the payments, the balance of the trust will be transferred to Curamericas Global
Charitable Remainder Annuity Trust
You may be looking for a way to receive fixed income for life or a number of years. You may be concerned about the high cost of capital gains tax with the sale of an appreciated asset. Perhaps you recently sold property and are looking for a way to save on taxes and plan for retirement. A charitable remainder annuity trust may offer the solutions you need.
Benefits of a charitable remainder annuity trust
- Receive fixed income for life or a term of up to 20 years
- Avoid capital gains tax on the sale of your appreciated assets
- Receive an immediate charitable income tax deduction for the charitable remainder portion of your gift to Curamericas Global
How a charitable remainder annuity trust works
- You transfer cash or assets to fund a charitable remainder annuity trust.
- In the case of a trust funded with appreciated assets, the trust will then sell the assets tax-free.
- The trust is invested to pay fixed income to you or any other trust beneficiaries you select based on a life, lives or a term of up to 20 years.
- You receive an income tax deduction in the year you transfer assets to the trust.
- Our organization benefits from what remains in the trust after all the trust payments have been made.
More on charitable remainder annuity trusts
If you are tired of the fluctuating stock market and want to receive fixed payments, a charitable remainder annuity trust may provide you with the stability you desire. A charitable remainder annuity trust pays a fixed amount each year based on the value of the property at the time the trust is funded.
Charitable Lead Trust
If you are looking for a way to pass on some of your assets to your family while reducing or eliminating gift or estate taxes, a charitable lead trust is an excellent option.
Benefits of a charitable lead trust
- Receive a gift or estate tax charitable deduction
- Pass inheritance on to family at a reduced or zero cost
- Establish a vehicle from which you can make annual gifts to charity
How a charitable lead trust works
- You make a contribution of your property to fund a trust that pays Curamericas Global income for a number of years.
- You receive a gift or estate tax deduction at the time of your gift.
- After a period of time, your family receives the trust assets plus any additional growth in value.
Sale and Unitrust
Are your appreciated assets, such as stock, bonds or real estate, producing little or no income?
If you sell your appreciated assets, you will pay a large capital gains tax. A sale and charitable remainder unitrust may be the solution to avoid capital gains tax.
Benefits of a sale and unitrust
- Receive cash from the sale. You can use this cash to purchase another residence, to save for retirement, to travel, to meet your daily needs or to meet some other financial goal
- Receive income from the unitrust for the rest of your life and future retirement
- Obtain an income tax deduction that may reduce your tax bill this year
- Further the work of Curamericas Global with your gift
How a sale and unitrust works
- You establish a charitable remainder unitrust and transfer a portion of your assets to the trust.
- The assets are then sold. You receive cash from the sale, and the rest of the sale’s proceeds are paid to the charitable unitrust.
- The trust will provide you with income for the rest of your life.
- You receive a charitable deduction this year to offset your tax on the cash proceeds that you receive from the sale.
Do you have property that you would like to sell? Are you looking for a strategy to reduce your income taxes? A bargain sale might be the right strategy for you.
Benefits of a bargain sale
- Avoid capital gains tax on your charitable gift
- Receive a tax deduction that will reduce your tax bill this year
- Take the cash received from the sale and reinvest it to create future income, save for retirement, buy new property or achieve other financial goals
- Help Curamericas Global further our important charitable work
How a bargain sale works
- You sell your property for a price less than fair market value to Curamericas Global
- You receive cash from the sale.
- You can take a charitable deduction for the value of your gift which is the difference between the fair market value of the property less the sale price.
- While you may owe some tax on the sale proceeds you receive from Curamericas Global, the charitable deduction from your gift could offset some, most or all of your capital gains taxes associated with the sale.
More on bargain sales
A bargain sale may be accomplished even if you have a mortgage on your property. Because relief from indebtedness can have tax implications, please consult with your tax advisor prior to completing a gift of a bargain sale.